Monday, August 6, 2007

Yet Another Reason Quark *&#@'s

Every year a client of mine comes in with a booklet to do for her event and every year I fight with quark. The file is so screwed up that my designer refuses to work on it so I get to do it. Not a big deal I have a bit more patience then her but I only have so much. I am leaving my current employer on Wednesday so I have had to really bang this project out. I am just about doing all the yearly edits while I am rapping up my everything else and training part of my replacement one of three that have been hired to fill my shoes. So I set my trainee up to do some computer learning so I can finish the rest of this thing and I set out to work. Yeah well I go to save it and it will not save, or collect for output on the hard-drive, desktop or the server where it lives. Then it precedes to delete the already saved version before it finishes saving. Then the sucker crashes. All work out the door, now usually it is no big deal but come on it is 35 page brochure. That being said I am redoing it in indesign so the next person to have to work with this file will not have to face the struggles that I have had to endure. If anyone out there can give me any good info on fixing this project it would be much appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Have had a few disaters like this with quark in the past. What I would recommend in future is in preferences you can set up an auto back up folder. I have a folder called Quark backup on my desktop and it will automatically keep 3 reviseions of your document in there.
If a document won't save you can sometimes transfer to another new document and save. The easy way to do this is have both documents in thumbnail mode this will allow you to then easily drag whole pages at a time.

That Girl said...

Tara-

Thank you for the great advice!